In this article, we will discuss Brief Note on Prostatectomy. So, let’s get started.
It is the surgical removal of prostate gland.
Radical Prostatectomy Approaches
• Supra pubic approach
• Trans urethral approach
• Retro pubic approach
• Perineal approach
a) Incision used – Pfannenstial incision
b) Foley’s indwelling supra pubic catheter acts as drain-10 days
c) A retro pubic drain also used for 2 days
d) An inverted u shaped incision used for perineal approach
• Excessive haemorrhage
• Bladder neck contracture
• Tear into the rectum
• Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism
• Osteitis pubis
• Cryosurgery of the prostate
• External radiation/Interstitial radiation
• Hormonal Therapy
– Administration of female hormone
– LHRH analogs
– Androgen blockade
• A catheter is left in the urinary bladder to drain urine and may remain for as long as 3 weeks.
• 3-7 days are spent in the hospital.
• Blood thinners or calf compression devices/ stockings are used to prevent clot forming until the patient is walking.
• Naso gastric tube for few days.
• Physiotherapy should be given as per protocol.