In this article, we will discuss about Bortezomib (Dosage Overview). So, let’s get started.
Bortezomib for injection is a proteasome inhibitor indicated for:
– treatment of patients with multiple myeloma.
– treatment of patients with mantle cell lymphoma who have received at least 1 prior therapy.
– For intravenous use only. Exercise caution when calculating the volume to be administered.
– The recommended starting dose of bortezomib for injection is 1.3 mg/m² administered as a 3 to 5 second bolus intravenous injection.
– Hepatic Impairment: Use a lower starting dose for patients with moderate or severe hepatic impairment.
– Dose must be individualized to prevent overdose.
Warnings and Precautions
• Peripheral Neuropathy: Manage with dose modification or discontinuation. Patients with pre-existing severe neuropathy should be treated with bortezomib for injection only after careful
• Hypotension: Use caution when treating patients taking anti hypertensives, with a history of syncope, or with dehydration.
• Cardiac Toxicity: Worsening of and development of cardiac failure has
occurred. Closely monitor patients with existing heart disease or risk factors for heart disease.
• Pulmonary Toxicity: Acute respiratory syndromes have occurred. Monitor closely for new or worsening symptoms.
• Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome: Consider MRI imaging
for onset of visual or neurological symptoms; discontinue bortezomib if
• Gastrointestinal Toxicity: Nausea, diahea, constipation, and vomiting may require use of antiemetic and antidiarrheal medications or fluid replacement.
• Thrombocytopenia or Neutropenia: Monitor complete blood counts regularly throughout treatment.
• Tumor Lysis Syndrome: Closely monitor patients with high tumor burden.
• Hepatic Toxicity Monitor hepatic enzymes during treutment.
• Embryo-fetal Toxicity: Bortezomib can cause fetal harm. Advise females
of reproductave potential of the potential risk to a fetus and to avoid pregnancy.