In this article, we will discuss Tympanosclerosis. So, let’s get started.
It is characterised by white plaques occuring in the tympanic membrane and surrounding ossicles. It results from healed chronic otitis media (sequalae of chronic otitis media). There is hyaline degeneration of middle ear mucosa which undergoes calcification and appears like the flakes of white snow.
- Treat the basic causative factors like disease of the nose, sinuses or pharynx
- Valsalva maneuver or Eustachian catheterization may be performed
- Myringopuncture: Injection of air into the middle ear may provide relief
- Myringotomy: The glue in the middle ear is aspirated
- Grommet: In recurrent cases a temporary Teflon tube is inserted for ventilation through the ear drum
- Adenoidectomy (in obstructive case)
- Hearing aid
- Antibiotic, decongestants, steroids, mucolytic are used.