In this article, we will discuss Brief Note on Treatment of Psoriasis. So, let’s get started.
• Photo therapy
– UVB (290–320 mm) is optimal
• Helio therapy
• Topical corticosteroids
– Clobetasol propionate 0.05% OR
– Beta methasone dipropionate 0.05%
• Coal tar
– Inhibits DNA synthesis
Apply coal tar for 24 hrs → Remove it with mineral or vegetable oil → Exposure to UV rays to induce mild erythema →A bath with soap and water to wash of scales → Tar is reapplied after bath.
• Salicylic Acid – A keratolytic agent
• Anthralin (Dithranol) – Directly acts on stem cell production of the epidermis.
Coal tar application and dry it → After drying, UVB radiation to suberythema dosage → Cover up the lesions with Dithranol (0.4% paste) → Powder is
applied and the lesion covered with Stockinette → Patient comes after 24 hrs for treatment. (A short regimen is also available for 30 minutes to 2 hrs.)
1. Systemic Therapies
b)PUVA (8-Methoxy Psoralen or 4,5,8-Trimethyl Psoralen is used)
c) Methotrexate (MTX)
– A folic acid antagonist
– A synthetic derivative of Vitamin A
– It inhibits inflammation, proliferation and terminal differentiation
e) Cyclosporine – A (latest drug)
– Inhibits T-helper cell production of interleukin-2
– Increases Suppressor T-cell population