In this article, we will discuss various Causes of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed. So, let’s get started.
1. Peptic ulcer (35-50%) associated with NSAIDs and H.pylori
2. Acute gastric erosion (about 20%), e.g. NSAIDs, alcohol induced, stress-induced ulceration
3. Esophageal varices (5-10%), i.e. liver disease, portal hypertension
4. Erosive esophagitis (5-10%) usually associated with hiatus hernia
5. Mallory-Weiss tear (5%), i.e. laceration of gastroesophageal junction
6. Vascular (angiomatus) malformations (5%)
7. Cancer of esophagus or stomach (2%)
8. Aortic graft (aorto-duodenal fistula- 0.2%)
9. Miscellaneous (rare), i.e.bleeding disorders, corrosive injury, post-sclerotherapy or ligation ulcers.