In this article, we will discuss various Causes of Acute Diarrhea. So, let’s get started.
Infective cause (90% cases) include:
- Virus e.g. rotavirus, norovirus, cytomegalovirus, viral hepatitis.
- Bacterial e.g. Enterotoxin-induced i.e. Staphylococcus aureus, B.cereus, C. perfringens, E.coli, V.cholera. Cytotoxin-induced i.e. E.coli, toxic shock syndrome. Mucosal invasion i.e. Shigella, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Yersinia, Traveller’s diarrhea.
- Parasitic i.e. Giardia, E.histolytica, Cryptosporidium, Cyclophora.
Non-infective causes (10% cases) include:
- Drugs e.g. laxative, digitalis, ampicillin.
- Ischemic colitis
- Pseudomembranous colitis
- Graft vs host disease
- Toxin-induced diarrhea i.e. organophosphorus, insecticide, amanita, mushroom, and seafood.
- Food allergy/intolerance
2 replies on “Causes of Acute Diarrhea”
I don’t see any discussion, but there’s a long blank space after the adds. I something wrong here?
It’s theme based will see if it can be rectified