In this article we will discuss about the 10 Important Facts of Creatinine Protein. So, let’s get started.
1. Males produce approximately 150 – 200 micromols of creatinine per kg of body weight per 24 hours while females produce approx. 100-150 mcmols/kg/24h.
2. Creatinine is an important indicator of renal health.
3. Creatinine is a byproduct of muscle metabolism.
4. Approx. 2% body’s creatine is converted into creatinine everyday.
5. Creatinine Clearance Rate is a measure of how much creatinine is cleared by kidneys and it helps to estimate the Glomerular Filtration Rate.
6. Creatinine level greater than 1.2 in women and 1.4 in men are an early indication that kidneys are not functioning properly and as disease progresses its level gets even higher.
7. Men have a higher serum creatinine level than women.
8. Creatinine also has antibacterial properties both against gram(+ve) and gram(-ve) bacterias.
9. Increased dietary intake of proteins or creatine can also increase daily creatinine excretion.
10. Each day approx. 1-2% of muscle creatine is converted into creatinine and the conversion is nonenzymatic and irreversible.